[haiku] Re: Firefox 3+ for Haiku

  • From: Jeffrey Parke <jeffrey.parke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:42:04 -0600

On 2010-01-23 at 23:09:10 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Niels Reedijk<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
This is meant as an alternative for the Webkit browser. Though that's a
descent project, it is still far away from creating a usable and stable
browser.
Indeed it may be a long and difficult road on the WebKit port and new
browser. Even when that is in great shape I think having a decent Firefox
port would be a great thing and make Haiku a more viable platform. In
fact I'd love to see Haiku's port of Firefox be as fast or faster than
the other platforms.

But obviously I won't have any time for the foreseeable future to work on
this, as I need to be working on the aforementioned WebKit port and
browser. Though I suspect there could be some sharing of code and/or
knowledge in how to implement certain browser technologies on Haiku
between the projects. So whoever starts work on this new FF port can feel
free to contact me if they want to discuss anything.
What is the status/progress on the WebKit port and the browser anyway?

Best regards,
-Stephan

I'm trying out arora 0.10.2 (very latest build). It came out the 22 of this month. It is perfect in terms of speed and stability. I vote we include it in the final haiku version. You do need to install qt 4.5 (which is available now) for haiku.