[haiku] Re: Firefox 3+ for Haiku

  • From: HubertMH@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 23 Jan 2010 21:50:18 +0100

Hi all.

>This is meant as an alternative for the Webkit browser. Though that's
>a descent project, it is still far away from creating a usable and
>stable browser.

>Anyone interested?

+1

> I think even if Haiku had an AWESOME native Webkit-based browser

> already, it is still healthy for Haiku to have the latest Firefox as

> an alternative. There are many users on other platforms who have

> chosen Firefox instead of, or in addition to Webkit-based alternatives

> because it exists and behaves the same on all major platforms, not to

> mention it has a healthy arsenal of cross-platform extensions.

+1

>I wonder if it would make sense however to skip 3.x and start working
>right on the 4.0 branch?

It seems to me that FF 4 is too far. Version 3.7, which will be faster, it also
changes, which in Haiku we do not use (transparency etc. - the need to have a
Gallium 3D).
Fresh version Firefox 3.6 that would be a significant step forward (to old
2.0.0.22pre). Of course we are talking about native port of FF - any needed on
Qt etc. Can we open bounty on Firefox 3.6.x? Maybe fyysik and tqh will be
interested.

Sprawdź, czy nie przepłacasz za ubezpieczenie!
kliknij >>> http://link.interia.pl/f256f