[haiku-es] Re: Spanish Haiku website

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:39:23 +0200

Hi Jorge,

On 4/17/07, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Well, we don't have to host every community on this planet. For only a
few major communities (Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian,
Chinese?) this might work well enough. I'm more concerned with very
small communities that don't know what they're doing. Another
possibility is that we have a few trusted admins that are responsible
for the server and installing software and everyone else merely gets
access rights to Drupal. Since the Drupal install can be shared
between all communities the admins shouldn't have too much work.

Alternatively, osdrawer.net has a dedicated machine and maybe they
could setup what is needed (separate accounts for each community)? We
could add subdomain pointers to their server, so the communities can
use domains like es.haiku-os.org.

>>> We had a DreamHost account at a time. Could it fit your needs ? It's
>>> not like we have use for it, no ?
>>>
>> I don't know the details of the Dreamhost, but I suspect it would be
>> more than sufficient.
>>

> If it does, then that solves the payment question.

Yes, it would.

Dreamhost is just a shared host, so it's no different than giving them
the second WebFaction account.

> If not, and if we decide
> to pay for a community site, wouldn't that put us in a position where other
> communities might, rightly, ask for the same? How much money will that cost
> us?

Yes, it could potentially put Haiku in such a position. But then, if
this is going to be an official site, Haiku would need to secure the
domain (as opposed to a third party owning it).

Who will maintain that server? If nobody runs upgrades or if there is
no expert who knows what he's doing I don't think they should get a
dedicated server. You mentioned their admin wouldn't have a lot of
time.

The approximate cost would be around US$100/year.

The cheapest dedicated servers I could find when I searched a new host
for us were around $35-$40/month (for this amount we could get quite a
few shared hosts). $100/year is incredibly cheap. What host did you
find?

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald