[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Hans Petter Selasky <hps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:58:25 +0200

Hi Guys,

I just found your discussion on the internet and would like to leave some comments regarding USB.

As a maintainer of the USB stack in FreeBSD I would like to tell you we are doing a lot to make the USB stack easy portable to other systems and multiple platforms. Recently we added a single thread mode for use with bootloaders.

There is no use comparing the number of drivers between FreeBSD and Linux as a kernel switching argument. Look at projects like the FreeBSD's webcamd. Linux drivers will end up in an emulation layer in userspace, for multiple reasons! Please understand the reasoning behind that first!

If the Linux USB 3.0 XHCI driver was so much better as some of you guys writing to this thread suggest, then the amount of complaints as seen when reading the Linux USB mailing list, would probably be fractional compared to that of FreeBSD? Check the facts guys! The Linux XHCI driver was sponsored by Intel, and they had a multi-year development advance over FreeBSD, by getting access to hardware and documents. And still, yet - they failed in the core: Memory leaks, crashes and bad design decisions ... Just Google it!

--HPS

On 8/22/2014 11:10 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

    If such a bastardized (?) Haiku on Linux kernel (Laiku?) were available for
    download, I might well try it, if it could run from a USB stick or GPT
    hard-drive partition.

    There would be the feeling that if it were on a Linux kernel, I might
prefer a
    non-Haiku/BeOS interface.

    Let's see what haoppens before passing judgement.

As I stated in another reply to one of Sia's responses, the NewOS/Haiku kernel is
tailored for the job at hand. Changing the kernel will result in quite a
catastrophe. I can't wait for people to try using this thing & realize how the
feeling of responsiveness is going to be missing. It takes a very specific type of
kernel to run this userland.

        So I've said "Linux or *BSD" numerous times. My current work is on top
of
        Linux but I would be fine with a FreeBSD kernel as well (supporting both
        isn't impossible)

        Sia.

    I pointed out that there is precedent for such a hybrid.

    I believe Arch, Debian and Gentoo are porting their Linux userland and
    framework to run on FreeBSD kernel but with no intention of dropping their
    Linux-proper development.

    I was never interested in that, figured I'd rather use FreeBSD userland and
    ports on FreeBSD kernel, and a GNU/Linux framework on Linux kernel.

    Linux and FreeBSD kernels offer USB 3.0 support.

    Some, or should I say, many, Linux device drivers are better than their
FreeBSD
    counterparts.

    One that sticks out with me is Ethernet on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard:
FreeBSD
    (OpenBSD and DragonFly too) recognize Realtek 8111E but fail to connect, but
    good with Linux, NetBSD and Haiku R1Alpha4.

That's not, at all, the same thing. Switching to one Unix derived kernel from
another Unix derived kernel isn't the same thing as switching a completely
different family of kernels to a Unix derived kernel. There's a difference &
it's pretty huge.