[haiku-development] Towards Haiku Alpha 2 or Beta 1

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:38:30 +0100

Dear developers,

It has been a nice warm fuzzy feeling, but the time has come to stop
congratulating ourselves with the release of alpha 1. Let's get to
work! ;-)

At BeGeistert there was some discussion on feature requirements for
Haiku R1, but as far as I know there was no discussion on where to go
next (and in my opinion, as long as something has not been discussed
on the mailing list it does not exist).

There are roughly two options: a time based release and a feature
based release. In the first case we will agree on a schedule and let
time decide what goes in the next release. In that way, the next
release will most likely be alpha 2. In the case of a feature based
release, we will work on a feature list and release when those are
satisfactory implemented. In this case the code determines when to
release. This could potentially be beta 1 (if all the features for R1
are implemented).

Note that the feature-based release does not mean that there should
not be any form of scheduling. I think that if alpha 1 has shown us
anything, is that there is use for a deadline in order to help
developers prioritize their work.

Anyway, I just want to start some discussion on the possibilities for
the future. So please enter your opinions.

Also, this is not a vote. +1 or -1 by itself are not meaningful
contributions to a discussion.

Kind regards,