[haiku-development] Re: Towards Haiku Alpha 2 or Beta 1

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 02:46:56 -0800

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> It has been a nice warm fuzzy feeling, but the time has come to stop
> congratulating ourselves with the release of alpha 1. Let's get to
> work! ;-)
>
> At BeGeistert there was some discussion on feature requirements for
> Haiku R1, but as far as I know there was no discussion on where to go
> next (and in my opinion, as long as something has not been discussed
> on the mailing list it does not exist).
>
> There are roughly two options: a time based release and a feature
> based release. In the first case we will agree on a schedule and let
> time decide what goes in the next release. In that way, the next
> release will most likely be alpha 2. In the case of a feature based
> release, we will work on a feature list and release when those are
> satisfactory implemented. In this case the code determines when to
> release. This could potentially be beta 1 (if all the features for R1
> are implemented).
>
> Note that the feature-based release does not mean that there should
> not be any form of scheduling. I think that if alpha 1 has shown us
> anything, is that there is use for a deadline in order to help
> developers prioritize their work.
>
> Anyway, I just want to start some discussion on the possibilities for
> the future. So please enter your opinions.
>
> Also, this is not a vote. +1 or -1 by itself are not meaningful
> contributions to a discussion.
>
> Kind regards,

I was thinking about this as well.  We have SCaLE and CeBit coming up
in Feb and March 2010, by that time the Alpha1 will have seen many of
it's issues fixed, but we may not have a Beta ready by then.  Perhaps
set a feature based milestone for a Beta1, but set a tentative date,
say mid-late January for an Alpha2?  That way we'd have a more recent
stable release to point people too go download.  Just my 2 cents.
-scottmc