[haiku-development] Re: Plans for HiDPI display support?

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 02:18:41 +0100

Il 23/03/13 00:57, Urias McCullough ha scritto:
In theory, this has nothing to do with a specific monitor - sounds
like HiDPI is just the "mode" that Apple refers to when they're
"doubling" the size of everything in the OS.

So, you could conceivably run this so-called "HiDPI" on a 1600x1200
display to get 800x600 equivalent-sized graphics but with better
anti-aliasing.

Of course, but it doesn't make much sense - except for people with reduceded vision, maybe - but it is necessary on a display with such an high pixel density, because a regular UI becomes extremely tiny. The ideal would be to have a completely customizable UI scale, and I think Haiku should lean this way, because in the next few years more and more notebooks will come with displays like this.

A second aspect to take into account is to have different scales for each display. OS X enables and disables the hidpi mode as you move the windows from the internal display to an external one or viceversa, but when I have to reboot into Windows I have to choose which one to use and manually set the scale. It isn't that much of a problem, as I can hook up three external displays at once, but it's quite annoying.

Then there's the point that OS X lets you choose different UI scales. On my 15" MBP, if I leave the "optimal" scale, the resolution matches the panel's 2880*1800, looking like the equivalent 1440*900 display. I can choose two higher scales, equivalent of 1680*1050 and 1920*1200; those are rendered at the double (3360*2100 and 3820*2400, respectively) then scaled down to fit the panel, thanks to the GPU. I don't think Haiku is ready for this yet, but it isn't really necessary if the UI is truly scalable: Apple choose this way because some apps don't scale nicely at uneven scales.

Regards

Gabriele