[haiku-development] Re: Plans for HiDPI display support?

On 03/23/2013 05:54 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
What would be the best would be to determine the DPI of each screen
and scale accordingly, automatically, using a reasonable default
scaling factor. Obviously we know the resolution of attached screens,
but do we always (or sometimes) know the physical size, in order to
calculate DPI?

As long as the device has EDID information, we usually know exactly the size of the monitor, and its DPI. The Screen preferences actually displays this information when it's available, btw. If not, we could either fall back to a sensible default, or make it settable in Screen as well.

The app_server currently makes no use of that information, but certainly could. Supporting different scales for the different monitors attached would still require quite some more work, though.

But having a single scale would already be a pretty good improvement.

There may be some problems we haven't noticed yet, feel free to report them
and we'll see how we can fix them.
Some I can already think of:
  - Tracker navigation icons in single window mode are still pixel ones
  - Deskbar replicant icons always use a 16x16 size, as well as window icons
in expando mode
  - Deskbar width is fixed, no matter what font size you use
  - Media preferences interface list uses fixed-size icons
All those should be fixed anyhow.

Definitely.

Bye,
   Axel.