[haiku-development] Re: Plans for HiDPI display support?

  • From: Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:13:53 +0100

On 23.03.2013, at 02:18, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il 23/03/13 00:57, Urias McCullough ha scritto:
>> In theory, this has nothing to do with a specific monitor - sounds
>> like HiDPI is just the "mode" that Apple refers to when they're
>> "doubling" the size of everything in the OS.
>>
>> So, you could conceivably run this so-called "HiDPI" on a 1600x1200
>> display to get 800x600 equivalent-sized graphics but with better
>> anti-aliasing.
>
> Of course, but it doesn't make much sense - except for people with reduceded
> vision, maybe - but it is necessary on a display with such an high pixel
> density, because a regular UI becomes extremely tiny. The ideal would be to
> have a completely customizable UI scale, and I think Haiku should lean this
> way, because in the next few years more and more notebooks will come with
> displays like this.
>
> A second aspect to take into account is to have different scales for each
> display. OS X enables and disables the hidpi mode as you move the windows
> from the internal display to an external one or viceversa, but when I have to
> reboot into Windows I have to choose which one to use and manually set the
> scale. It isn't that much of a problem, as I can hook up three external
> displays at once, but it's quite annoying.
>
> Then there's the point that OS X lets you choose different UI scales. On my
> 15" MBP, if I leave the "optimal" scale, the resolution matches the panel's
> 2880*1800, looking like the equivalent 1440*900 display. I can choose two
> higher scales, equivalent of 1680*1050 and 1920*1200; those are rendered at
> the double (3360*2100 and 3820*2400, respectively) then scaled down to fit
> the panel, thanks to the GPU. I don't think Haiku is ready for this yet, but
> it isn't really necessary if the UI is truly scalable: Apple choose this way
> because some apps don't scale nicely at uneven scales.

Indeed my question was not specific enough. But this is exactly what I had in
mind, but didn't phrase accuratly. Basically I really meant, what are the plans
to user higher DPI screens to improve the overall visual appearance vs. just
using the extended screen estate, which at least for my current use cases is
not bringing much incremental benefits once a certain resolution threshold is
reached.

More specifically I'm interested whether there are any things I should keep in
mind, while developing an application to make sure to cope with such a future
scenario, apart from trying to use vector based assets whereever possible and
to accommodate for arbritrary system font sizes?

Cheers,
Rossi