[haiku-development] Re: Plans for HiDPI display support?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:54:29 -0400

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:12 AM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Haiku, you just go in the appearance preflet and increase the font size.
> You also have to tweak some settings (deskbar and tracker icon sizes)
> elsewhere. Everything else should scale to this and the UI will look fine.

That falls apart with multiple screens that have widely different
DPIs, assuming the same settings will apply to all screens. Also it
would make life easier if the above settings could be set with a
scaling factor, per screen.

What would be the best would be to determine the DPI of each screen
and scale accordingly, automatically, using a reasonable default
scaling factor. Obviously we know the resolution of attached screens,
but do we always (or sometimes) know the physical size, in order to
calculate DPI?

> There may be some problems we haven't noticed yet, feel free to report them
> and we'll see how we can fix them.
> Some I can already think of:
>  - Tracker navigation icons in single window mode are still pixel ones
>  - Deskbar replicant icons always use a 16x16 size, as well as window icons
> in expando mode
>  - Deskbar width is fixed, no matter what font size you use
>  - Media preferences interface list uses fixed-size icons

All those should be fixed anyhow.

--
Regards,
Ryan