[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:55:17 +0200 CEST

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> If decent performance can be maintained after quite a few packages
> have
> been installed, is the big question here. And I have strong doubts
> that it
> can be achieved. Maybe it's possible with "caching", similar to what
> the
> "real" fs does by storing things on-disk. Like an on-disk file system
> on
> top of another on-disk filesystem, but still separate. If it would be
> done
> all on the fly, I just cannot imagine it would be fast enough.

Why shouldn't it? It's just a matter of how to store/cache the
information. A "real" file system doesn't do anything else, anyway, and
file systems like NTFS support transparent compression - as long as
block based access is possible, it shouldn't slow down the machine a
lot (as you also need to retrieve less data from disk), while it's
definitely more CPU intensive than just reading the data.

If the format we chose is not suitable for GB large games, then I guess
we may want to refine it in like 20 years when the first of those are
actually available for Haiku ;-)
It wouldn't be hard to have uncompressed chunks of data in there as
well, at least.

Bye,
   Axel.