[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

  • From: Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 17:15:21 +0000

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
If decent performance can be maintained after quite a few packages have been installed, is the big question here. And I have strong doubts that it can be achieved. Maybe it's possible with "caching", similar to what the "real" fs does by storing things on-disk. Like an on-disk file system on top of another on-disk filesystem, but still separate. If it would be done all on the fly, I just cannot imagine it would be fast enough.

Why shouldn't it? It's just a matter of how to store/cache the information. A "real" file system doesn't do anything else, anyway, and file systems like NTFS support transparent compression - as long as block based access is possible, it shouldn't slow down the machine a lot (as you also need to retrieve less data from disk), while it's definitely more CPU intensive than just reading the data.

If you are making things this complicated, you have to ask yourself: Is installing really such a bad thing? Installing would simply extract the bundle's contents (be it an uncompressed image or plain files) to the hard disk without bothering the user for the rest. This is a one-time operation, and is a lot more efficient than what you describe above. It is also a lot more transparent.

When a bundle has been extracted, it can still be mapped into a common directory hierarchy if you wish to do so. pkgfs for images, or assignfs for plain files.

These extracted bundles can always be archived up again if needed.

If the format we chose is not suitable for GB large games, then I guess we may want to refine it in like 20 years when the first of those are actually available for Haiku ;-)

Can we at least try to get it right the first time?

Regards,
Brecht