[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:03:34 +0200 CEST

PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On another subject, if no installer is available, how can a user
> > uninstall
> > all the data written by the software during its life ? Suppose a
> > user
> > installs firefox, plays with it for 1/2 months, and then wants to
> > remove it.
> > Without installer he can easily delete the bundle/directory that
> > contains
> > the software but how many users will remove the 50MB of cache in
> > the
> > settings directory ?
> From reading the wiki page, I think this would be done by tagging all
> this files with a special attribute. The package manager would then
> be
> able to detect them and tell you that they don't belong to any
> installed app anymore.

You can't really force applications to use attributes. However, you can
store in the package where the application will store its extra files,
and then remove it (if requested, you may want to keep your settings
around sometimes).
That's also a reason why Firefox shouldn't abuse the settings directory
as its cache. That's what B_USER_CACHE_DIRECTORY is for (and that could
be deleted by the package manager automatically always).

Bye,
   Axel.