[haiku-development] Re: Package manager

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't have a problem with the idea or impression of
> installation, as long as its user-initiated. (I'd rather
> not have bundles integrate with the system silently
> say on download or when mounting removable media).

Sure, there would be a common directory where to put packages in order
to have them installed - with as little user interaction as needed.

> Perhaps a limited, declarative script could suffice most
> of the time? Would be easier to analyse than freeform bash
> scripts.

Oh please not, that wouldn't do any good.

> Maybe this script aversion is an irrational fear.
> Script and software being from the same trusted
> (or untrusted) source.

That's what I would think. Either you trust someone (and therefore
install the app), or not. In the latter case, you definitely shouldn't
install the application.
But you shouldn't use Haiku anyway, if you have security concerns. At
least not before we seriously support a multi-user setup, and "root" is
the default user :-)

Bye,
   Axel.