[haiku-development] Re: Installing Haiku - no installable partitions found

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:30:39 +0100

Paavo Nurminen wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> > On 2012-02-08 at 09:34:14 [+0100], Paavo Nurminen<paavo.nurminen@xxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >> Theory and practice does not seem to meet. Step by step, valid,
> >> instructions, please.
> >>
> >> I read from User Guide, Boot Loader section:
> >> "If "debug syslog" is enabled, a warm reboot after a crash (PANIC??) shows
> >> these additional options:
> >> -Display syslog from previous session
> >> -Save syslog from previous session"
> >>
> >> These options are not shown upon reboot.
> > The feature had been broken for while, IIRC including the alpha 3 release.
> > So if you're still testing with that one, that would explain it. With a
> > recent revision the feature should work though (at least it does on my
> > machines). I seem to recall a report that it still doesn't on some hardware,
> > for which I don't have an explanation ATM.
> I have burned one daily build (hrev43718) and it shows an option
> of displaying current boot loader log, not anything about saving
> syslog from previous session. Could you point me a daily build,
> which contains this feature. Choosing a daily build is sort of
> lottery.

I just checked and it appears the fix I was thinking of was applied in
hrev41446, i.e. it even predates alpha 3. IOW alpha 3 and all later nightlies
contain the feature in a generally working state (AFAIK).

> >> I have made one experiment where I chose 'Display syslog on screen'.
> >> Several screen fulls were shown and it showed that my system was
> >> correctly identified. After AHCI section came PANIC, showing this
> >> message:
> >> PANIC: acquire_spinlock(): Failed to acquire spinlock 0x80175a08 for a
> >> long time!
> > That is a known issue. Disabling SMP might help. Since you get to KDL
> > anyway, using the "syslog" command yields better results, though.
> >
> Known issue, but probably a serious issue, in my case.

No, not serious at all. It's a rarely needed debug feature and, as I already
wrote, disabling SMP is a simple work-around for the problem.

CU, Ingo