[haiku-development] Re: I suggest a vote on 3 items

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 07:05:49 +0200

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 08:44:48PM +0000, jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Maybe it's as simple as storing the Deskbar links in
/boot/home/config/deskbar/menu/Applications
instead of
/boot/system/data/deskbar/menu/Applications
and have Deskbar point to it directly. If people want to customize it,
they click on Applications in deskbar.

I can remember the design requirements for the DeskBar menu, which were
reached through a lot of discussion on the mailing list and maybe that
led to over-engineering while trying to please everyone:
1) Installing a package should add its entry to the menu
2) It would be a good idea to categorize the menu as it is getting too
long. But, it is hard to come up with a good and predictible menu
organization (you know what I mean if you already looked at the
categorized menu in eg. a Debian based OS)
3) So, there must be a way for the user to customize the settings.

So far so good, putting the files in "settings" could work. But,

4) Removing a package should remove its DeskBar entries, because no one
wants to be left with "dead" links in the Deskbar. This should work
even if the user has reorganized the menu and moved things around.
5) DeskBar should have entries for both the "system" and "user"
installed packages, in the same menu. So a single directory won't cut
it.

This has led to the current solution of "virtual directories" (which you
can identify because they have a blue folder icon instead of the usual
yellow/orange). If you click on one directory in the DeskBar, the
virtual dir is opened in Tracker (it has a grey background like queries,
because it works similarly, some kind of path-based query). But, if you
go in DeskBar preferences and use the "edit in tracker" button, you get
to the editable part of the menu.

This only gets us half-way to what we want to do. We have 1, 4 and 5,
and some of 3 (you can add, but not move or remove entries). We can have
2 as soon as we decide on an organization scheme and make use of it in
packages.

If we make the package-provided files directly writable, we get 3, but
we lose 4 and 5. Probably a different solution has to be found.

Also, the right-click in Tracker seems a near complete menu solution
already. Maybe just use that feature/code in Deskbar... Clean. light,

The same code is used already. Tracker can browse the deskbar menu
virtual directories with its right click menu.

--
Adrien.