[haiku-development] Re: I suggest a vote on 3 items

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 11:55:46 +0200

Am 02.09.2015 um 21:00 schrieb jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Time can be spent right now to implement the "Hold The Shift Key"
feature so that the read-only thing doesnt turn people off [...]

As Adrien wrote, it had been considered to keep things writable; but
it's not really worth it.
While the performance wouldn't really suffer a lot (not sure where
Adrien got that from), it's a lot of effort to get things working, and
then you have a huge transparency problem (where are the files coming
from?).
The current approach with extra writable folders is easy to grasp, and
totally clean, and transparent. You just have to get used to it, that's
all. And if it didn't even drive you off, it can't be so bad anyway ;-)

It's something new, and you just have to get used to it.

However, I think many people would agree that it is being
implemented in a sub-optimal way. If everybody knew (dev's and non
dev alike) that the choices made would bring so much trouble and
delays to the project, things would have been different. I think we
can all agree on that.

What makes you think that?
The Haiku package management implementation is pretty much the best thing I've ever seen in this regard. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world. I couldn't think of a better solution.

Bye,
Axel.