[haiku-development] Re: I suggest a vote on 3 items

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 22:35:40 +0200

Hi Jimmy,

Personally, i am all for package
menagement! I love it and I think it adds a great benefit to the Haiku
Project. But was all this really necissary for package management?

Yes, in order to implement /this/ kind package management.

That's all I'm saying, and the response is "Well this is how we did it
and that's that". I feel that the implimentation of it needs
improvement and it isn't being addressed. It CAN be done in a way that
does not require compatibility workarounds, read-only structures and
dividing the community. Time can be spent right now to implement the
"Hold The Shift Key" feature so that the read-only thing doesnt turn
people off and to leave the option for people to do things the old way
-perhaps with a BAlert that pops up with a warning suggesting to use
package management instead of the legacy package... Just because time
and money was spent doesn't make it the best way of doing things.
Probably 99% of the work done could still be used and the 1% change in
code would make people happy (go ahead Adrien, yell at me for that one..

Basically, with the above, you are showing that you focus on one thing that you are annoyed with in PM, then make some estimates without any research on the details.

The thing is, package management has to provide solutions for a number of complex situations and problems. The discussing, designing and implementing package management in Haiku goes back more than 5 years now. And pretty much all of it has been discussed /at length/ in the open. There is an overwhelming amount of material which you could read, in mailing list archives, blog posts, discussions in comments and design and documentation wiki pages. Probably so overwhelming much, that I am willing to bet you will read through almost none of it.

With the design of PM, we wanted to have certain features and solve certain problems. It all needs to be ballanced with the consequences and compromises had to be found. And what we have now is this ballance.

If you come here claiming there is a problem which needs fixing and the fix would be so easy if only people started thinking creatively... just make people press shift and voilà... I don't know what you expect. Or actually, I know what you expect, I just don't understand why you think it is reasonable.

At this point, I just don't think there will be any work which involves radically changing the design of PM (even if you think what you want would only require minor changes). That is not to say there is no more room for improvements. But these improvements will be about tying up loose ends and making things more comfortable to use.

Best regards,
-Stephan