[haiku-development] Re: I suggest a vote on 3 items

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:42:17 -0500

On 2015-09-03 15:30, Pete Goodeve wrote:

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:26:45PM +0200, Stephan A??mus wrote:
Am 03.09.2015 um 12:17 schrieb Fredrik Holmqvist:

>I have a pet-peeve about the 'non-packaged' folders for where users can
>do edits. I'd prefer if it was the other way around with a 'packaged'
>folder instead.

My own strong feeling [as I'm sure I've stated before...] is that the
structure of the *system* tree is exactly right. The basis of the system
is now packages, and anything non-packaged is going to be a 'tweak'.

OTOH, /boot/home/config has always been regarded as free for the
user to organize as they desire. And suddenly it isn't.

Surely one could have a parallel "Packaged" tree where user packages
would go, and config could be, well, configurable? There's very little
diffefence except in naming, but it would mean that things wouldn't
have stopped working.

Stopped working? Well, how about all the old installation scripts?
In particular SoundPlay, which wants to install in .../config/lib.
And my own organization -- which I thought was logical -- relied
heavily on putting my local executables and so on in config.
I have some heavily used command line apps that I've relied on
since BeOS (like mutt for mail, which has always handled IMAP
quite happily thanks) that need hard coded paths for their
components, which have always been in config.

This means that my main work pre-PM partition is never going to be
updated. I've managed to get most of my stuff into another PM
partition by the simple hack of turning everything in the old config
into an hpkg and installing that! But yuck...

If memory serves, that option had been considered at the time. I guess
more arguments had been found for the way it is now, and personally I
agree with that. Having to use non-packaged should be a fall-back or
work-around. The other way around it would feel as if PM was tacked on,
while in reality almost everything, especially all the system files, is
inside packages now.

I spent some time yesterday trying to track down where the current
directory structure might have been discussed (before implementation)
and I'm afraid I had no luck. I certainly was blindsided.

~September, 2013 is a good month to navigate on haiku-development about PM:

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Some-thoughts-on-package-management
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Couple-of-questions-about-PM
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/PM-Readonly-insanity
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Package-Management-devel-or-not-to-devel
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Removing-bootcommon

//www.freelists.org/archive/haiku-development/10-2013

You guys are over 2 years late to the conversation :P

-- Alex