[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 21:25:10 +0000 (UTC)

IMHO, 1) and 2) above also depend on the actual release to be at least somewhat
good. It's not helpful to generate interest in Haiku, when it's actually
disappointing to try the release. And what good is a sucky release as a basis
for third party developers to target with their apps? Nobody will keep using it
anyway. And what then, just keep throwing out sucky releases until everyone
writes us off once and for all?

So please, we are not delusional about what the quality of an ALPHA release
needs to be. It certainly does not need to be perfect. But please exit the
reality distortion field and try to look at Haiku through the eyes of any
random interested user or developer. There is *too much* still *too broken*.
And what works nicely is most often not actually accessible.

Best regards,-Stephan

I was sort of annoyed at the squashing of the release, yet again, for no viable
reason. I may have come off a bit angry, and I apologize for that. Been working
a ton and I am fairly exhuasted right now

The last Alpha releases had less features and were of lower quality then todays
proposed release. So I fail to understand the logic of saying that releasing a
alpha with a new webkit browser, PM, APIC, Scheduler and tons of bug fixs,
driver enhancements etc is worse then Alpha4. I get it, it needs to be good
enough, but its going to be better previous alphas.

My issue however, is that instead of finding ways to say YES, people are
focusing on ways to say NO. Haiku finally has enough regular donors to pay a
developer on a semi full time basis. another Alpha with good press my help to
leverage that further, more donors, or encourage existing users to donate more.

The browser work has deffinately spured a increase in donations.

and too much and too broken, was the last release but more broken then the
proposed release. Its time to set schedules and try to abide by them. If you
need help ask, theres a whole community out there that doesn't really know how
to engage and help. So tell us, what can we do.

Sean