[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 11:34:14 -0700

> I'm dropping the release coordinator role per IRC.  Quite a few people
> have thrown up road blocks. There is only 1 blocker currently in Trac
> for R1A5, thus me pushing for a release:
>
> https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=
> in-progress&status=new&status=reopened&milestone=%5ER1%
> 2Falpha5&group=milestone&order=priority
>
> However it seems our Trac hasn't been kept up with as several people
> have pointed out that "too many issues exist". I'd recommend putting
> these "serious R1A5 blocker issues" into Trac and flagging them to R1A5
> so the project can begin building timelines.
>
> We need to set better goals, timelines, and expectations for releases.
>
> I'm starting to feel like attempting to get a release out isn't really
> possible anymore. Please disregard the timelines I mentioned.
>
> Good luck,
>
>  Alex

I think we need to do an Alpha 5 release but your timeline was a little to
soon.  Give developers who are in the middle of things time to wrap things
up into a releasable form (at least for now) and then maybe try to push it
out.  I think give 2-6 weeks from now to and then start the (quick) release
cycle.  We NEED to have Alpha 5 out before the end of October or doing
another GCI will confuse potential students even more than in previous
years.  I see no need to use GSoC as an excuse for holding up Alpha5 as
none of this years projects are impacted by it.  So our real issues are the
wrapping up of a few loose ends.  If you see major show stopping bugs then
by all means raise the priority flag on trac, otherwise it's not seen by
all.  As Alex says there's only one listed Alpha5 blocker on trac and that
has to do with release notes...

-scottmc