[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>, haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 06:50:16 -0500

On May 28, 2014 2:12 AM, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Stephan_A=DFmus?= <superstippi@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> Am 28.05.2014 07:11, schrieb John Scipione:
> > On Tuesday, May 27, 2014, Augustin Cavalier <ajcsweb@xxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:ajcsweb@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >     On 5/27/2014 5:20 PM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
> >         What are the plans with regards to show-casing PM with this
> >         release? Aren't there multiple issues left that we wanted
> >         addressed when we last discussed the release back in 2013? One
> >         of them was .pkg breakage, which I worked on a bit, but there
> >         are open tickets for specific packages.
> >

> >     This is a release blocker for me. If we aren't BeOS-compatible,
> >     there's no sense releasing at all, since that was the goal of Haiku R1.
> >

> > That only makes it a blocker for R1, not for Alpha5 which is expected to
> > be buggy and incomplete.
>
> But what is the point of the release then? It can't be about getting
> more testing, because we already have tons of bugs in Trac that we can
The point is attracting more users and developers. Our core team is shrinking
due to real life (kids, wives, husbands, work) we need releases to attract
attention and more community to support us. It's been almost 13 years and we
don't have a single stable release, the least we can do is pump out an alpha or
beta once every few years. (R1A4 was 1.5 years ago)

I don't work on Haiku to put it on a shelf and look at it, I work on it so I
can have a modern reimplementation of BeOS as my core desktop.

> fix first. I thought the point is to give a sign of live, and to
> show-case the progress. Releasing is like saying "we got it to a point
> that we feel worth showing". So I think PM and HaikuDepot should not
> disappoint.

They don't disappoint now. We can install software, update software, update the
os, etc. Users who run a4 don't have pm or Web+. Look at the release notes
page.. The list of new features is long.  Pretty good for an alpha!
Http://unixzen.com/patchwork/haikuR1A5

And compatibility with existing software is also a factor.
> That being said, I do think that PackageInstaller works better now than
> it ever did... but there are still some tickets for it.

What tickets? Let's fix them if there are only a few.

- Alex