[haiku-development] Re: Generic Font and FontBoy icons etc.

  • From: Disreali <mdisreali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:26:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 7/30/12, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with Axel that a capital letter "A" would be the
> most recognizable choice, so, my suggestion is to make an
> icon that resembles an "A" block of moveable type as a
> generic font icon. I'm sure you could make something nice
> looking in the semi-oblique icon perspective that we use
> as there are many examples of icons that contain block
> shapes already.
>
> Once this is done alter this block of moveable type icon for
> each font type by putting a "TT", "Type 1", "OpenType", etc.
> overlay on top similar to have we have different flags for
> compression types on a generic compression icon or document
> overlays on a generic document icon.

I don't care for all fonts having the same icon with an overlay.
I just booted a old PC with BeOS R5 to see how it dealt with font icons.
Truetype fonts had the TT icon, but PostScript ones had an "A".  (This is also
how font icons are done in Windows.)  I really like that setup because it is
much easier to tell what type of font you are dealing with with out having to
strain to read an overlay flag.  For OpenType fonts simply use a capital "O".

I found these examples. The are probably windows icons, but they convey what
the represent easily without extraneous flags.

http://www.scrappingtable.com/i/About%20Fonts/font_file_types.jpg

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?