[haiku-development] Re: Generic Font and FontBoy icons etc.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:36:48 -0400

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM, pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:46:29AM +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
>>
>> Since it delivers functionality very similar to CharacterMap, I
>> would not like to see it included. Since CharacterMap currently does
>> not allow to open fonts, that would need to be implemented, though.
>
> We have FontDemo already, why not just use it ?
> Both FontDemo and Fonts preferences have an A as an icon, BTW. It would
> be nice to keep that in sync with the font file icon.

From what I can see from screenshots alone it is clear that FontBoy
does much more than FontDemo and CharacterMap. FontDemo is just that,
a demo of how fonts can be rendered in BeOS and now Haiku, and it is
not a substitute for a real font viewer. Also a font viewer
application could also be used to install fonts, which right now is a
manual process of copying fonts to the right directory in
/boot/home/config or in /boot/common. CharacterMap is just what it is,
and comparing or installing fonts should not be its purpose.

If FontBoy needs some clean-up work I'd be willing to give it a look.

As for the main purpose of this email thread, I think what Justin has
come up with for a font icon in his latest post sounds good.

I also like the moveable type icon idea form John though: how about we
use that as the icon for FontBoy (or whatever font installer we end up
with?) Though maybe it better fits some future font creation program
;)

--
Regards,
Ryan