[haiku-development] Re: Generic Font and FontBoy icons etc.

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:45:29 -0400

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I also like the moveable type icon idea form John though: how about we
>> use that as the icon for FontBoy (or whatever font installer we end up
>> with?) Though maybe it better fits some future font creation program
>> ;)
>
> I did the FontBoy icon that way because it's the same icon it uses already.
>
> http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/phreadom/fontboy-preview1.png
>
> I think a movable type icon would be better suited for a future
> application, as you said... unless we were to rework FontBoy so much
> that it deserved a new name and icon to show the evolution to a real
> font management system (I don't know what it's current capabilities
> include).

The moveable type icon idea was to try and articulate a metaphor that
alludes to font files, I'm not stuck on that particular image, just
the concept of a metaphor. Unfortunately, that is the only metaphor I
can think of. Movable type is the real world equivalent of the digital
font files, even if they are antiquated by them.

I agree that a moveable type icon would make fonts look like an
application and not a document, however, how is a piece of paper with
a letter on it any better, what is the metaphor, how does it allow the
user to relate the file to a font?

A piece of paper with letters on it is the obvious choice I suppose
but it just isn't very creative, and it isn't very intuitive either.
If someone can come up with a better metaphor or symbolic construct
that would make the association between a font and the font file then
I'd love to hear it.