[haiku-development] Demo CD (was Re: Re: BButton colors?)

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:46:02 +0100 CET

> > Not at all and not for an alpha. We just need something that makes
> > installation possible. In any case, a Installer in the BeOS
> > tradition is
> >   (basically) just something able to copy everything from the CD to
> > disk partition, There is no secret about that.
> [...]
> is also missing is the Bootscript.cd which is supposed to be used
> when the
> regular Bootscript detects a read-only boot volume. Just like on
> BeOS, this
> will then run the Installer and not Tracker/Desktop. As long as
> several
> applications/servers have problems with running from a read-only boot
> volume, I would recommend to not try to act like a Live (Demo) CD. If

Well, fixing those would also help for later multiuser support, as
touching an application binary as a user should not be permitted
anyway...

> people want a demo, they can use VMWare images. If they want to know
> if
> Haiku runs on their hardware, the CD would provide this info
> regardless of
> wether Tracker or Installer are launched when booting.

What people really ask is demo cd... though it currently seems quite
slow to boot, so it would probably not give a good first impression :-(

> * Write the proper Bootscript(s)

That should be quite simple.

> * Test Installer and DriveSetup more, fix bugs in partitioning
> plugins.

I'll leave that to you :)

François.