[haiku-development] Re: Demo CD (was Re: Re: BButton colors?)

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What people really ask is demo cd... though it
> > currently seems quite slow to boot, so it would
> > probably not give a good first impression :-(
> Perhaps one could write tools to analyze a typical
> CD boot BFS access pattern, and then try to reorder
> the image contents and do more prefetching?

We actually have an add-on for the file cache that does exactly this
(the prefetching part). There is no tool to reorder any BFS contents on
disk.

> Perhaps limit the amount of multithreaded access
> when booting off CD?

I think what would help is a) an I/O scheduler, and/or b) have a zipped
image that is loaded into RAM completely (in one continuous go) and
used from there (if there is enough RAM).
But FWIW Ubuntu takes several minutes to boot from CD here.

Bye,
   Axel.