[haiku-development] Re: Demo CD (was Re: Re: BButton colors?)

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:21:29 -0800

On 05/03/2008, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I did a little test with a Haiku live CD that Urias facilitated me (rev
>  24227), and here are the results:
>
>  Boot screen displayed   00m00s
>  Desktop displayed       04m40s
>  Mouse moves             05m50s
>  Terminal displayed      08m10s
>  Deskbar loaded          08m30s
>  Tracker loaded          09m20s
>
>  This was timed on an (cold booted) AMD/XP 1.7G with 1GB of RAM. On the
>  same rig, the Ubuntu live CD (Gutsy) came to a fully usable desktop in
>  less than half the time (about 04m40s).

Since I was referenced in this message (not that I mind) - I'll go
ahead and add some extra details about the image that I provided for
Jorge to test just in case this technically matters regarding
performance:

It was a larger 512mb haiku.image rather than the 120mb size that
Francois had been testing with. This is simply my default image size -
I wasn't trying to accomplish anything with a large readonly BFS image
:P

The build environment was also configured with --include-gpl-addons
which probably added a couple extra drivers to the image. I think I
added the 3rd party option also, but I'm not sure that matters yet.

It had the following additional "optional" packages installed:
Wonderbrush, Pe, Links, Vision which of course add extra size to the
image. I did *not* install OSS.

Just wanted to make sure this was known in case anyone wishes to
compare it to their own experience.

- Urias