[haiku-development] Re: Demo CD (was Re: Re: BButton colors?)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:11:28 +0100

Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote:
> Short boot time is one of our selling points, and these results do not
> reflect that quality of Haiku at all. I also thought that the lack of
> feedback of what's going to the user (both during and after the booth
> screen) makes the wait seem even longer. In other words, there is a lot
> that needs to be improved if you want Haiku a live CD to make a positive
> and enticing impression on the user.
>
> I know that you guys have been talking about how to improve the live CD.
> My take is that it would not be wise to rush things and risk creating a
> perception that Haiku is slow. So I think it would be wise not to release
> any live cd (supported or unsupported) at the very least until you can
> bring down the boot time to something shorter than the mainstream Linux
> distros out there. Until then, try to keep the cat in the bag. :)

I absolutely second this feeling. Are there any known TODOs with regards to
our iso9660 filesystem implementation? Is it using the file cache? Can the
read-ahead add-on be applied by default? Can it be made more agressive when
it "detects" the read-only device (talking in user terms, but I hope you
know what I mean)?

Best regards,
-Stephan