[haiku-development] Re: BButton colors?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:58:11 +0100

On 2008-03-05 at 12:34:02 [+0100], Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> >> 2 - Integrate Installer/Partitioner (even if only through a button) so
> >> people can actually create partitions to install Haiku to (is our
> >> partitioner able to create and initialize BFS partitions?).
> >
> > Designing an installer requires a lot of discussion on this ML or
> > elsewhere :-)
>
> Not at all and not for an alpha. We just need something that makes
> installation possible. In any case, a Installer in the BeOS tradition is
>   (basically) just something able to copy everything from the CD to a
> disk partition, There is no secret about that.

Yes exactly. Please note that the Installer has been done years ago (by
Jérôme) and is part of every image. It is not exposed in the Deskbar
Application menu, like a couple more applications which you are unlikely to
invoke from there (for example Expander). You find the Installer in
/boot/beos/apps/. The Installer also offers to launch DriveSetup (just like
the BeOS version). At the moment, DriveSetup can be used to initialize
existing partitions with BFS. Although in some situations, some partions
are not recognized to exist (I have such a setup). I have not personally
tested the interaction between the Installer and DriveSetup yet. And what
is also missing is the Bootscript.cd which is supposed to be used when the
regular Bootscript detects a read-only boot volume. Just like on BeOS, this
will then run the Installer and not Tracker/Desktop. As long as several
applications/servers have problems with running from a read-only boot
volume, I would recommend to not try to act like a Live (Demo) CD. If
people want a demo, they can use VMWare images. If they want to know if
Haiku runs on their hardware, the CD would provide this info regardless of
wether Tracker or Installer are launched when booting.

Summary of TODOs:
* Write the proper Bootscript(s)
* Test Installer and DriveSetup more, fix bugs in partitioning plugins.

Best regards,
-Stephan