[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 20:10:03 +0100

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 07:32:13PM +0100, Barrett wrote:
> Hello
>
> There are two different issues there. We get a lot of requests for Haiku
> > on the Pi because a lot of people expected to buy a $30 device and get a
> > full-scale computer.
> >

> Someone would just like to have a low cost and low performance board for
> applications where for example you want Haiku to be just an host and an
> external hardware do some processing on data. It's just a reality that x86
> devices are too expensive, complex and consume a lot of power for the aim.
> Also, this kind of boards come out with gpio ecc. capabilities which make
> those devices a lot useful for create-your-product purposes. Sometimes it
> is more cheaper and/or powerful to have a spi dac.
>
> I know Haiku is a Desktop OS, but a my personal opinion is that it could
> perform very well in embedded situations or when you just want to customize
> it as the os of your product. Please reconsider the future potential of
> Haiku in this fragment. This is not a question of how Haiku could perform
> well compared to linux in a Raspberry, but how many the potential of the os
> could be expanded to fit new sectors and non believed use-cases.

It could, but Linux already does. We would need a lot of work to catchup
with Linux on this (writing drivers for GPIO/SPI/etc...) and while the Haiku
OS (or parts of it) might be technically appropriate, it is still out of
scope for the Haiku project to work on this. Let's get it running as a
Desktop OS first before we start attacking other markets?

--
Adrien.