[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 19:44:30 +0100

Hey,

Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
> About the release, the keys to the solution are in Ingo's reply, and
> are:
> - We need stable internal protocols/interfaces. Ie. if we do
> incompatible changes in the future, we need to version the
> communication.
> - This allows us to keep old repositories around. Incompatible
> versions
> would need to be marked as such.
> - A software needing the GCC2 API would say so in its dependencies,
> and
> everything is put into place.
> [...]
> That allows a user to run new versions of Haiku as wished, and still
> be
> able to run software that requires an older version.

Maybe I misunderstand something about the proposal, but I don't see how
that works with our client-server concept.
Say, a future change alters the communication protocol between the
media server and libmedia. Now of course we could version libmedia and
offer a separate package with the old version. But how does that help?
The old libmedia wouldn't speak the same protocol and thus couldn't
communicate with the new media server.
Did I get something wrong?

--
So long, jua