[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan

  • From: "Niels Sascha Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:04:19 -0800 (PST)

Hello devs,

On Sunday, Nov 2, 2014 at 10:25 am, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>,
wrote:
Hello devs,

During the BeGeistert coding sprint we had a long discussion with Ingo,
Oliver and Ithamar about the future of Haiku and the problems we have
with getting releases out. We have reached an agreement on this and we
would like to propose a plan to finally get R1 out and move on to the next
steps of development.

I remember having the same discussion last year, perhaps with other people, but
with roughly the same outcome, i.e. get R1 out of the door ASAP and focus on
the new and fun stuff. [see:
http://marc.info/?l=haiku-development&m=137925662420099&w=2]

The goals here are multiple:
* Finally provide a stable release which third-party developers can use
* Setup a better release cycle so we can put out releases more frequently
* Let the developers work on more exciting things without making them
  feel guilty for not working on the important R1 stuff
Overall I concur with the goals. What is missing here is the end-goal, meaning
why are we still working on Haiku? Quoting the mission statement from our
homepage: "Haiku is a new open-source operating system that specifically
targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use,
easy to learn and yet very powerful.”

Is that still our main goal? To create an operating system that specifically
targets personal computing? Or have we evolved to the goal of a fun playground
for OS-developers to play around with modern OS concepts?

I am making that assertion since the three goals are seemingly in support of
that mission. The 1st one, to put out the beta as soon as possible, really
leads op to 2 and 3, which is to better enable a playground for developers to
do cool new stuff.

Note that I am in no way upset about this evolution of the mission. In fact, I
do think that the PC-landscape has changed dramatically since the inception of
the project, and I also underscore that there is a clear lack of focus when it
comes to accomplishing our current mission. I would go so far as to say that
the severe lack of interest of developers into finishing R1 is a great
indication in that there really hardly seems to be any place for a new
(mainstream?) desktop operating system anymore? Even the Linux on the desktop
guys seem to have ceased preaching their gospel.

In short: I thoroughly support this proposal, since it complies to the reality
we are living in right now. Let’s get out beta 1 as soon as the infrastructure
is ready.

Regards,