[haiku-development] Re: Beta1 and R1 release plan

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:40:48 +0000

Excerpt from Augustin Cavalier:

> I don't think we should remove the "Demos". An IDE can easily go alongside the
> demos - no need to remove them, we've got plenty of space. Also, I don't think
> the developer tools should be included by default -- enough of our users are
> not developers and it's easy enough to install packages now that I say we
> leave the GCCs out of the release image.

I can't let this go by without responding, strongly think GCC and/or llvm/clang
and developer tools should be included as they are in NetBSD, FreeBSD and most
Linux distributions.

I wouldn't want to install NetBSD, FreeBSD or Linux, or Haiku, without the
tools to rebuild the system and add-on packages.

FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Haiku too, are set up so a user can build/rebuild the
packages and system from scripts without in-depth developer knowledge.

Tom