[guispeak] Re: here's the missing post...

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:30:45 -0000

Hi Laura;

I don't believe anyone was flaming anyone else, it's just a philosophical
debate, and those tend to get a little entrenched *smile*.

Culture, in the socialogical sense of being a set of shared values and
norms, is a funny thing, and probably explains the differences.  The
European culture, certainly that found in continental Europe is one to the
left of the political spectrum, I even hear from a friend that if you're
blind in Spain you get a lot of free equipment and a job selling lottery
tickets.  Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but it does typify the
more left wing culture.  Compare this to countries where the culture is more
towards the individual bares the responsibility, and there's a difference,
with the UK sitting in the middle, as usual *smile*.  This can also be
accounted for by psychology, where the more you are exposed to stimuli, such
as people saying you are expected to buy your own screen reader, the more
you become conditioned to believe it.

Where constantly upgrading equipment, and possibly even buying it in the
first place, hits a problem, is in those cultures where the expectation is
that people should buy their own equipment.  Some elements of society may be
able to afford this, however some may not.  This isn't to do with the cost
of technology, as technology providers have to cover their costs, but is the
technological divide between the have's and have nots.  Simply put, some
people just can't afford the pace of change on their own.  The question of
how this is to be overcome is one I'm not really qualified to answer, but
I'm not a proponent of holding back technilogical advance, rather just aware
that some people may not be able to cope with that pace of advancement
compared to others, and one such group is people with disabilities, where,
according to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, which is a sociological
research group in the UK, unemployment is higher in this social group
compared to the national average.  It's a tough problem to sort out, as the
price of technology is about right in relation to costs of production, and
so it's unreasonable to expect prices to lower.  Yet, there's got to be a
way found so that everyone who wishes to can benefit from the technological
evolution, as no one's denying that computers and the broader spectrum of
technology can bring tremendous benefits to people.

Will
Who really should have done sociology rather than computer studies *smile*