[gptalk] Size limit for GPOs?

  • From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:24:16 -0600

Hi Darren,
I think the GPO was corrupted in the sysvol on the DCs.  It took a few
hours, but the reason I think this is that it replicated out to several
of our users at sites throughout the company.

From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Size limit for GPOs?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:08:33 -0800

Most of the "corruption" I've seen has been where a particular CSE is
unable to read its settings files. The files are there, but not in an
expected format. And they bomb out as a result. I suspect that is what
you're saying, though I honestly don't know why. Do you see any
difference in behavior if you add exception in groups. For example, you
add 10 exceptions, then hit Ok, then add 10 more, then hit OK, etc. I am
just wondering if it's a buffer overflow on the process that adds the
settings into the registry.pol file, since I don't see anything
explicitly in that file that would limit the number supported. Frankly,
I would call MS on this one because I think it sounds like a bug to me.
Let us know what you find.

Darren

Mary Collingwood
We Energies - IT Services