[gptalk] Re: Size limit for GPOs?

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:43:52 -0800

It would have been interesting to try reading the registry.pol file for that
GPO in my PolViewer utility (www.gpoguy.com/polviewer.htm) to see whether it
was able to read it or not.

From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Size limit for GPOs?

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:08:33 -0800

Most of the "corruption" I've seen has been where a particular CSE is unable
to read its settings files. The files are there, but not in an expected
format. And they bomb out as a result. I suspect that is what you're saying,
though I honestly don't know why. Do you see any difference in behavior if
you add exception in groups. For example, you add 10 exceptions, then hit
Ok, then add 10 more, then hit OK, etc. I am just wondering if it's a buffer
overflow on the process that adds the settings into the registry.pol file,
since I don't see anything explicitly in that file that would limit the
number supported. Frankly, I would call MS on this one because I think it
sounds like a bug to me. Let us know what you find.

Darren

Mary Collingwood

We Energies - IT Services

Client Device Integration