[gptalk] Size limit for GPOs?

  • From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:35:29 -0600

Hi List,
I have a problem I'm hoping someone can shed light on.  We have XP Pro
w/sp2 on our workstations.  Recently one of our Firewall exception GPOs
became corrupted.  That is, we could not edit it and received access
errors.  I restored from a backup and created an additional GPO.  Does
anyone know if there is a threshold for number of exceptions listed in
this GPO? The reason I ask, I had a similar problem a year ago when
trying to add an exception.  At that time it was obvious that the GPO
would no longer accept new entries.  I created a second GPO and split
the settings into the two GPOs at the time and everything was copasetic.
I'm thinking that we may have reached the threshold again on the second
GPO.

Also, it seems that some of our workstations had group policy broken on
them if the GPOs followed the corrupted one in ranking precedence.  Is
that probable? Would the CSC become unstable if one of the polices was
corrupt?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mary Collingwood
We Energies - IT Services