[gptalk] Size limit for GPOs?

  • From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:00:55 -0600

Hi Darren,
I am the person who asked about GPO corruption due to number of
exceptions in the Windows Firewall exception GPO.  I thought that you
would like to know why\how the GPO got corrupted.  I have since figured
out that the GPO was corrupted when the machine the GPMC was on had to
be hard booted because it was hung up.  The console was experiencing
problems because it was on a Dell GX270 that had the "puffy" capacitor
issue on the motherboard.  A coworker was working in the GPO and the PC
hung up.  I loaded the GPMC on another PC hoping that I could open the
GPO and save it before the old PC got hard booted.  However, it did not
work.  I got access errors and errors on the PC having to do with losing
contact with Device0.
The Device0 error was due to the motherboard capacitor issue.  Anyway, I
believe that the hard boot of the PC while the GPO was open to edit is
the cause of the corruption.  Do you agree?

I did restore from the backed up GPO to fix the corruption problem on
the workstations and that seemed to work.  Other workstation settings
were restored and users were able to work as of 02/02/07.

However, I have another question on this issue.  We have been receiving
more than the usual tickets on folder redirection problems within the
last two or three weeks.  We agreed that once the CSC is unreadable in
part, all the policy that follows the one that caused the problem would
not be readable either.  Since the workstation settings apply first and
the folder redirection policy is within a user settings policy that
would apply afterwards; could the Firewall Exception GPO corruption be
the cause of our recent problems? If so, why wouldn't the restoration of
the backed up GPO fix the CSC for the users settings also? How would you
recommend fixing folder redirection problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mary Collingwood
We Energies - IT Services
Client Device Integration