[gps-talkusers] Re: the best of all worlds

  • From: gavin atkins <gavin.atkins@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:24:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mike and list
I do follow your reasoning regarding supply and demand for the GPS system,
isn't it so easy to forget that just 3'4 years ago I and most other blind
people had no GPS system at all! but like with all things now we've got it we
want more facilitys and cheaper.
Personally as a totally blind self employed piano tuner the BN32 and GPSV3 have
completely changed the way I aproach my working day, I can now venture out with
my Guide Dog Carter, into unfamiliar towns and area's of my own town knowing
that I can always know more or less where I am, thus saving me money on
Taxicabs and wasted time getting lost, and making me feel safer!, also i can
employ my driver's time more efficiently, saving me money.
So although the British goverment's Access to work scheme paid for the BN I
have paid for the GPS system so far and consider it an investment.

GPS has made my working and personal life so much more interesting, (train
journeys are much more exciting! except for Virgin trains window's that prevent
the Magellan seeing out), And of course I am fortunate to have employment and
the support with the perchase cost of the BN, but I can see how it is creating
a two tiered group of, those with the technology and those without.
Naturally now that the Doorway of GPS has been pushed open we all want to fling
it wide and get running round in the world that's been opened up to us.
Hopefuly those who controle the perse strings will begin to understand just how
amazing GPS is to blind people and that its not just a toy, that sighted people
may play with if there to lazy to read a map which is readily available to them
for about half the cost of a local Taxi journey.
Regards Gavin Atkins