[gps-talkusers] Re: the best of all worlds

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:11:05 -0600

Mike,
I really have to agree with Dave here. The fact is that the voice Note is
really old technology, and HumanWare seems determined to squeeze every possible
bit of functionality out of that technology before they do an
upgrade. Great for people who have had the units for a while, but not great if
one is considering a purchase. The pk is too expensive by at least half, and I
personally don't need braille, because braille is what drives
the cost upso much. I wish PDI had produced a brailleless equivalent to the pk,
or that they would bite the bullet and give us decent modern technology for the
less expensive line of products. As it stands now, I can't
justify the outlay for even a voiceNote plus gps, because I know that
eventually, PDI is going to have to give up on that out of data platform, and
when they do, it will mean another substancial outlay of funds. I'd be
happy with a gps that has the features that you guys produce, but never mind
the expensive proprietary PDI device. I'd sooner pay, say the price of a
trekker with all maps and, for that money, get your gps and maybe
something like the maestro functionality. I don't need to surf the web or do
email with a tiny unit. That's why they have laptops.
Mary