[gps-talkusers] Re: gps on laptops

  • From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:08:53 -0700

Interesting. I think I saw a demo of that long ago laptop unit but that seems like a lot to carry glad things have gotten smaller! ----- Original Message ----- From: <meearls@xxxxxxx>

To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:11 AM
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: gps on laptops

When the original Atlas Speaks was put on a laptop, a special 2 part case was developed which I wore on my front. It was about 2 and a half feet long with the upper compartment housing the wires for the Magellan 310 serial port receiver and the wires for the additional numpad keyboard which was velcroed onto the upper right front of the top compartment. The bottom half of the case held the actual laptop and when I had mine you only got at the most 2 hours of battery life out of it. you slipped this case on as if you were wearing a vest backward and there was a belt which fastened at the waste. this is how I wore the unit but there were other ways you could wear it, as a backpack, or over your shoulder or there was a handle to carry the case. The case folded & could be fastened so that when not in use it was actually quite nice to carry. I remember a big day occurred when I actually got 5 satellites. I know I am leaving lots out, but that is how the original device is carried. Tosheva has made I don't know if they still do, a tiny laptop with a regular keyboard, about the same size as a voice note. A gps on something like that is very doable. One thing very much in favor of tps being on devices such as the voice sense and Braille Note or a pda is the lack of heat. Laptops when really used hard, generate heat & on the original gps-talk list there was considerable discussion on finding just the right laptop which didn't get so hot. Trust me folks, carrying one of those things on a hot sticky days was rather warm.
Just my 2 cents worth on this subject.
Mary Ellen Earls