[geocentrism] Re: Ancient calendars-Velikovsky

  • From: Carl Felland <cfelland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:34:09 -0600

Neville,
I've heard a  Jewish month of 30 days is complete and one of 29 days is
known as deficient (I forget the exact term).

Also, I remember Henry Morris (ICR) discussing "prophetic" years of 360
days.  In Revelation we see 42 months and 1260 days as periods listed.
Whether these are the same periods or not I have not looked at, but 42 x
30 is 1260.

Rev 11:2  And the court which is without the temple leave without, and
measure it not; for it hath been given unto the nations: and the holy
city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
Rev 11:3  And I will give unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy
a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Another more controversial reference is from Noah's Flood where 5 months
apparently is equal to 150 days.  However, this could be explained with
inclusive recogning of time.

Twelve is a sign of completeness, for example...

Rev 21:12  having a wall great and high; having twelve gates, and at the
gates twelve angels; and names written thereon, which are the names of
the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

Rev 22:2  in the midst of the street thereof. And on this side of the
river and on that was the tree of life, bearing twelve manner of fruits,
yielding its fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the
healing of the nations.

In the current state of affairs there are twelve or thirteen months in a
Jewish year.  For example, this is the twelveth month of the Jewish
year, but by Jewish recogning there will be a thirteenth month before
the new year begins with the month of Abib.  This is of course due to
lunar months being 29.5 days and years being 365.25 days long.

It would seem to me that a yearly cycle of 360 days that corresponds to
twelve 30 day months would "work out better."  Velikovsky has looked at
ancient cultures and argues that the years did use to be 360 days long.
That's as far as I've gotten.  I have not looked at any of his sources.

Carl