[GeoStL] Re: WOW St. Louis

  • From: Stephen Martin <faery_generic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 08:31:44 -0700

-

On Wednesday, May 02, 2007, at 09:23AM, "Bridget E. Griffin"
<Bridget.Griffin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>-
>I disagree.  Sure there is an inital cost for the GPSR, but after that,
>it is one of the least expensive hobbies around.  Now you can make it as
>expensive as you want, by how far you travel, if you travel overnight,
>where you stay if you stay overnight, etc, etc.  But my opinion is it
>doesn't cost much at all.

Since I use my bike, Metro and my buddies passenger seats, I pretty much cache
for free now days.  I have to have a bus pass for everything else I do, so I
won't count that charge.  I have to say that this sport has been huge in
helping my life and mental health.  I have PTSD which can make living VERY
hard.  I was on the border of the Spring Picnic this weekend, but I was too
anxious to go into the area. I ended up sleeping on a bench that was probably
300 feet from the fun.  I had been struggling with anxiety for the previous
couple days.  I was starting to go into depression... which sucks as much as
anxiety.

I finally took some action and on Monday I rode from about a quarter mile nw of
GCMPEJ all the way to GCMNAJ and Geo biked and found 5 caches.  The long ride
was great for getting endorfins flowing to fight depression, each cache was a
goal achieved, and the treks through deep woods allowed me to clear my mind of
the rest of the world and figure out where my anxiety came from.  I spent 9
hours Geo Biking that day and I was sore, hungry and a hot mess by the time I
got back.  I took a shower, ate, and rested.  I dealt with some things I had
been avoiding and set up some more progress goals.  I was back to me.

Basically this long response is to show, that for me, this sport/game/social
activity is low on cost and huge on benefit.  A big thanks to those who started
this and those who help keep it alive!

Sincerely, Stephen