[GeoStL] WOW St. Louis

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gc-Maillist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 22:34:45 -0500

-
About 3 weeks ago there was an email floating around about the WOW event to be held in Forest Park. It will be held on June 8th and 9th (Friday and Saturday). http://mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/events/showevent.cgi?record=14093

Details are still a little sketchy, but we will be working with Barb Wilson from MO. state parks (DNR) in Jeff City. We have been asked to help her (actually setup and handle it) for the geocaching seminars. This weekend is intended to get intercity families out to the parks and participate in outdoor activities. We will have 3-1.5 hr sessions on Saturday only, and each session consisting of 20 people of all ages.

We have 22 yellow eTrex GPS's on loan from MO Dept of Conservation so each attendee will have their own to use. I have placed 3 caches around the setup area so that if we break into 3 smaller groups each session, the groups can't see each other or the other cache areas. Actually I've got the coords and will place the physical caches (2 Tupperware and an ammo box) that Saturday morning. I've also loaded the WP's into the GPS's.

So, we're looking for some help on Sat. June 9th from 8AM to 4PM. Hopefully 8 or 10 of us will be plenty depending on family size or how we can break up the group of twenty. There is 1 morning session, lunch, and 2 afternoon sessions. Lunch, I THINK, will be furnished.

We will have a table and either a 10 x 10' fly or be under a larger tent; I don't have those details yet. I'm hoping we can do just a 5-10 minute talk with some sample caches and contents for show and tell. Nothing elabrate or fancy. I've got stickers and small Frisbees from REI to stock the caches and hopefully we can find a few more give-aways from some of the other vendors that are there.

This will be held behind the remodeled visitors center which is just east of the history museum, near the handball and racquetball courts.

I'll let you know any additional details as I find out anything.