[gawlerites] Re: The Gawler diet and our new oncologist

  • From: "Emerald Village Menswear" <emeraldvillage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gawlerites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:25:09 +1000

Hi Debbie and Bruce,

Sorry to hear that you have had some discouraging news on the markers, I
also have had a recent rise in my marker (PSA) and have started on
additional hormone therapy.  While I have not stuck to the Gawler as well as
most I do try to maintain a diet that is far more healthy then previously
and I think this is important to continue with.  I meditate every day and
have gotten to the point where I can't imagine going without my time of
stillness and letting go.

My problem is that when I get the discouraging news, any positive thinking I
have managed to accumulate immediately goes south.  As we learned at the
Gawler "camp"  our  positive frame of mind is just as import as anything
else but for me is the most difficult to maintain.  This is where I find the
meditation and Support groups like the Burwood one mentioned by Patti
particularly helpful and you guys may want to give that a try.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mike

From: moo-man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gawlerites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gawlerites] The Gawler diet and our new oncologist
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:10:25 +1000

Hi Guys,

This is just a general query to see if anyone has had any success with the
diets and meditation so far.

Debbie meditates daily and has been sticking to the diet reasonably well (at
least 98% - she misses the occasional juice), but all her markers have been
going up and her recent PET and CT scans show she has numerous instances of
new growth along with additional growth in her previous tumours. As a
result, she will be starting her second batch of chemo soon (this time using
Caelyx).

As such, the diet and meditation do not appear to be working for Deb so I
guess I am asking, is it worth continuing? Deb wants to but she is now down
to 49kg so I am worried.

Also, we have been dissatisfied with our oncologist for some time (Geraldine
Goss) so we sought a second opinion from Patti's oncologist and he referred
us to a Prof. Michael Leyden at Maroondah hospital. We have now seen him
twice and he seems OK, but I am worried about 'changing ships during a
storm' particularly since we actually had a small ray of sunshine last
Wednesday when Goss was away for our clinic and the head of oncology at
Monash, Peter Briggs, saw us instead.

He seemed far more competent that Goss and it was actually he that
recommended the CT scan and Caelyx so maybe things are turning at Monash.
This, however, leaves us with a very difficult, and potentially life
changing decision as to whether to change oncologists or not. We can't keep
having a foot in both camps now that Deb is about to start chemo again.

As such, I would appreciate any advice if you know of these oncologists, or
the chemo day ward at Maroondah hospital etc.

TIA.

Cheers,

Bruce

  _____

Click Here View photos of singles in your area
<http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdating%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau
%2Fsearch%2Fsearch%2Easpx%3Fexec%3Dgo%26tp%3Dq%26gc%3D2%26tr%3D1%26lage%3D18
%26uage%3D55%26cl%3D14%26sl%3D0%26dist%3D50%26po%3D1%26do%3D2%26trackingid%3
D1046138%26r2s%3D1&_t=773166090&_r=Hotmail_Endtext&_m=EXT>

18:00:00