[gameprogrammer] Re: opengl

  • From: "Paul Smith" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:25:06 +0100

Apologies for the double post - but don't forget that SDL and OpenGL
in combination will allows you access to any 3D acceleration on the
machine - which can make 2D drawing better.  So, SDL by itself is for
2D graphics, SDL + OpenGL can be used for 3D or is some cases fast 2D.

On 4/20/07, Paul Smith <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SDL by itself does 2D.  SDL is also a great way to use OpenGL without
worrying about other aspects fo the program.  SDL + OpenGL gives you
fast convienient access to 3D.

On 4/20/07, Ace <adeanom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> so do you mean that people use both SDL and OpenGL in one project? or
> could SDL replace OpenGL in some cases?
>
> when do we should use SDL or OpenGL?
>
> right now I'm starting to learn using SDL, but from what my friend
> told me that SDL could only be used for 2D. Is this statement wrong?

Paul Smith
Computer programmer

paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--