[gameprogrammer] Re: Survey!!!!

  • From: Vince <uberneen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:29:58 -0700 (PDT)

That sounds almost exactly like the Recreation Centers
we had on post in the Army.  They had cards with blank
magnetic strips that you programmed with account
information and you logged in to a terminal by swiping
your card.  There was a pretty full-featured
concession area complete with over-sized bottles of
pale American beer. (I'm a fan of imports)

I think the main problem we had was that the software
and the machines were buggy.  You'd have a shooter
installed but the machine wouldn't have the hardware
to get a decent framerate.  There were also kiosks
that had more limited functionality and were more
reliable for gaming, but then you'd run into problems
with patch levels.  It's not so bad if you can get a
lan game going, but the environment was not naturally
conducive to cooperation.
That said, I think most people will play a fishing
game if they get to sit and drink alcohol while they
do it.

The success of an operation like that would depend
almost entirely on the implementation, unless you had
a captive audience of bored soldiers.

Vince~