[gameprogrammer] Re: Survey!!!!

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:48:16 -0500

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 15:44 -0500, Chris Nystrom wrote:
> On 9/27/05, Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The licensing issue is pretty serious. Most games require you to
> > purchase one copy per PC. If you have 50 PCs, you need 50 copies. At
> > $50/copy that is $2500/game. If you want to have more than just a few
> > hot titles you are looking at $25,000 to $50,000 for an initial
> > investment in software. Then, you need to get copies of each new game
> > while it is still hot. So, you are looking at something like
> > $5,000/month to buy new titles.
>
> That is where FreeCiv comes in. :)
>
> I wonder is a place where you could hang out and play old games on old
> computers with your friends might work out better as a business? Maybe
> have free computers and LAN/Internet and have it as the inducment to a
> really good snack bar/sandwich/coffee place?

That is a not a bad idea. You would have to charge something for the
computer use though, or your tables all get filled up by people who
aren't buying anything. This has turned out to be a problem for places
that offer free WiFi. Their tables are full but they aren't making any
sales.

                Bob Pendleton

> Sort of like the way Schlotsky's does this locally, but with more
> emphasis on the computers and gaming. I know the computers are always
> full at Schlotskys even on off hours.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
> Business: http://www.shaklee.net/austin
> Blog: http://conversazione.blogspot.com/
> AIM: nystromchris

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +