[gameprogrammer] Re: Survey!!!!

  • From: Josh Stewart <aek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 01:12:09 +0800

here we call them lan centres.. they started in the broodwar/quakeworld/TF days (ahhh memories :)
There was a big one, that opened but location was poor and dot com burst. Nowdays there are probably half a dozen in my state (western australia). There are also non profit groups that arrange massive lan parties over long weekends (WALAN, RFLAN.. google them to see what sort of activities they do)

The regular "walk in" places you pay per hour and they sell snacks/drinks... they are dark and have some tunes playing.
In the afternoon they are filled with school kids (around 13-22 yrs old) all swearing their heads off having a great time on battlefield.
Some are there til late. Parents drop them off when they do shopping at night (although they prolly shouldnt). But I assume the kids dont have fast internet or fast computers at home. Parents are happy to get a break. I assume as families get faster DSL and computers are replaced with new ones, this might change.. but even my friends with top computers will go down and play together, as it saves uprooting the computer and 21inch monitor of back spasms + 12.

Went to a internet cafe in some hole under a shop in melbourne ( a bigger city) and I was just looking for net, but there was like 70 twenty-something aged people down there in the middle of the day.. they were all going nuts playing warcraft3.. quite a sight.
There is definately a business case for it here, but it depends on a lot of things.. location, availablilty of internet, competitors?

LAN events here are similar but these people charge a fee for entry only, and bring their own computer. They are starting to include console gamming tornaments along with PC gamming.

-Josh

Alan Wolfe wrote:

oh yeah but to answer your question yes, i would pay to play in such a place, assuming it had lotsa cool games - both the well known ones and a bunch of lesser known fun ones (:

On 9/26/05, *Alan Wolfe* <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    there's actualy a place like this that just opened up where i
    lived called "howies".

    pretty cool lookin place but they don't have that many games yet
    and they are all mainstream, no  cool lesser known ones like
    soldat etc (:

On 9/26/05, *Chris Schnurr* < chris.schnurr@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris.schnurr@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

you mean, a bit like this guy?
http://tinyurl.com/dqg7o